Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

Four Years Down. . .and Marriage DOESN'T Suck!!!

Tomorrow is our fourth wedding anniversary! It's been a wonderful four years! In fact, it seems too good to be true!



How could marriage be this good?!  In all honesty, I was kinda bracing myself for marriage! I had heard how hard marriage was, I had seen the statistics in my major in college (Marriage and Family) and I had seen my parents marriage fail, so I mentally prepared myself for heated arguments followed by silent treatments, and crying myself to sleep. My vision of marriage came up while we were engaged--we talked about when we wanted to start having a family. He suggested we shoot for a honeymoon baby, with the justification of "why not?!"

I may have given him an earful at that point!

Why not?! Well, because marriage was going to be hard! It was going to be work! We were going to have to fight, because that's what two people do who come from different families and have different life experiences and upbringing. We were going to have to beat the kinks out of marriage before we add another kink to the rope! It was ironic that Robby was suggesting a honeymoon baby seeing as my Dad's one piece of marriage advice when Robby asked my dad if he could marry me was "don't have kids too early". . .There had to be a reason for that. I thought I was giving Robby an education in newlywedness "Robby, don't you know?. . .marriage is gonna kinda suck at first!" And Robby just responded ". . .OK" (more to say "well if that's how you feel about it" and not to say "thank you for bestowing your wealth of wisdom"). Honestly, I'm pretty lucky he married me after that! With an attitude like that, it could have become a self-fulfilled prophecy! Another thing I was preparing myself for was finding out who Robby really was after we got married, but at the same time I felt like he was super authentic, so I hoped it wouldn't be too bad. I was super blessed because low and behold

Robby was the real deal and . . .Marriage DIDN'T suck!

 Wheeeew! I'm sure glad I was wrong about it all! As wrong as I could be in fact! Robby was just as amazing as he seemed to be--kind, PATIENT, optimistic, righteous and the list goes on. Me on the other hand? I don't know what can prepare a man for an emotional female :) Maybe having five sisters?! ;) But with his optimism, he handles it like a champ! So after two months of marriage, I realized that marriage was wonderful and that probably wasn't going to change. That was nice. . .except, then I didn't have a reason to not have children. So we had one by our first anniversary :)

So what is marriage like really? I live with my best friend! I'm married to my eternal boyfriend, a man I look forward to going on vacations with, dates with, spending hum drum time with, daydreaming about, and welcoming home at the end of the day. Being married to Robby is so good that I hesitate to tell single people how good marriage is, because I might be setting them up for disappointment. After all, not everybody can marry Robby Parker.


4 comments:

  1. Courtney, THAT was awesome! Go, Team Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! It helps to be married to such an easy-going guy! I love that about Robby! Neph and I didn't set such a bad example for you did we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. You and Nephi were great! My visions of marriage being that hard weren't just from you, but from a lot of things I had heard from my major, friends, and the general bad rep. that the first years of marriage get. You and Nephi were a very good example of a happy marriage! I especially love that you guys still hold hands :)

      Delete