Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Birthday-Worthy Recipes (Nutella Chocolate Cake & Blender Salsa)


Baby girl turned 1 a few weeks ago! It has gone by so fast! And I have so much to say about her that I just haven't been able to wrap up all my thoughts! So I'm going to put that on hold a little longer and just post the easy thing--the recipes from her birthday party. I had a few people ask for the cake and/or salsa recipe. So instead of just emailing them, I figured I would just blog about it, 'cause maybe someone else wants those recipes too, right?

 

     NUTELLA CHOCOLATE CAKE

Nutella Chocolate Cake--Heidi's Birthday Cake . . .sort of. . .except she is allergic
to eggs and dairy, so she couldn't actually eat it. But as you can see, she did
have a cupcake and what a cute little cupcake eater she was!

I have a question--from one baker to another: What could be better than having someone compliment you on your baking? Having someone go out of their way to compliment you on their baking! Am I right? Let me illustrate--I made this Nutella Chocolate cake for Heidi's birthday. Four layers of moist chocolate cake stuffed with plenty of thick, creamy Nutella-y frosting, then topped off with a fudgey chocolate ganache. 

My cousin shoved a piece into a plastic cup ('cause I forget to get paper plates) and brought some home for her husband who wasn't able to attend (you just can't compete with a BYU game, ya know?) Well, my husband received a text like this not too much later:

M: Where did you get that chocolate cake?!


R: My lovely wife

M: I'm sincerely serious that that's maybe the best chocolate cake I've ever had. How did she do that?

R: It's a boiled batter cake. If you come over you can have some more.

M: Is right now a good time?

Yep. He came right over and got some :)

So. . .it's very yummy! Want the recipe? Here it is! And the only thing I would change is to use heavy cream instead of milk or water in the frosting. You need heavy cream for the ganache anyway, and there is plenty of extra in the smallest carton you can find at the store to make both the ganache and the frosting.



Yay for Heidi girl! She's 1!




BLENDER SALSA

INGREDIENTS

2 cans (14.5 Ounces) Diced Tomatoes (I used Western Family brand)
1 can (10 Ounce) Rotel Tomatoes (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies-Original)
1/4 cup Chopped Onion
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1/4 teaspoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 cup Cilantro (more To Taste!)
1 whole Lime, Juiced (about 2 Tablespoons)

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Loosely drain (but don't squeeze 'em dry) all 3 cans of tomatoes. 
  • Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or large food processor. 
  • Pulse until you get to the right consistency, a dozen pulses or so. 
  • Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
  • Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips


Adapted from Restaurant Style Salsa on pioneerwoman.com

This was the main course--a crazy yummy burger that Robby suggested. Mine is
shown here with lettuce, tomato, red onion, ketchup, mustard, grilled pineapple,
a fried egg, and cheese. . . After I took this picture, I picked up the plate and this tower
of a burger fell over, but it's OK. . .'cause I caught it.


Opening presents at the family party!


Little cutie got a new coat and some baby cutlery!

No comments:

Post a Comment