This is my little cutie in her dance costume. I will post some videos of her first dance performance EVER later this month. Dang! She's cute! (. . .If I do say so myself!)
1) Reading Buddies
Leila likes to be read to. And although there are many books that she likes, there is one that stands out above them all--Classic Bedtime Stories by Scott Gustafson. Not only does it contain some great classics like Jack and The Beanstalk and The Three Billy Goats Gruff, not only does it have breathtakingly gorgeous illustrations, but it was purchased for my daughters by their beloved Grandma Parker as a "just because" gift (those are the best kinds of gifts, aren't they?)
When Robby was little his Mom read to him and his siblings a lot. Robby often tells me of the memories he has of his mom reading to him when he was young. It's common to hear him say "I love that book! My mom read it to me as a child." Being read to aloud is just one of the many examples of memories that have created such a strong bond between Robby and his Mama.
One of the stories Robby and his Mama read together was the story of Little Black Samba and The Tigers. That story happens to be in this compilation of classics--I think that's why this book piqued Grandma Parker's interest when she saw it at the store :) She has read it to Leila a *few* times :) You can tell that's an understatement when you watch them reading it together in this video.
Note: This video was taken 6 1/2 months ago (in May when Leila was not yet 3). I tried in vain to upload it months ago. It took me this long to get me to ask my super-duper multi-talented, technically savvy hubby for help. It was NBD for him of course.
What a little performer she is!
2) I Have a Happy Family (Home Evening)
During FHE Robby asked what Leila likes about our family:
She said "I like that our family reads scriptures together and that you guys got married in the temple"
For another FHE Robby asked when was the last time Leila felt the Spirit. She turned it into the same question as the other week:
Leila: I like that our family loves each other so much!
I like that too. . .and I like that she's so darned sweet!
3) Jesus' Hands
We have been trying to teach Leila that when she makes good choices it makes Heavenly Father and Jesus happy and when she makes not-so-good choices it makes them sad.
One day she spilled some water and said "Oh no! It's not good to spill water! When we spill water on the floor it's like we're spilling water on Jesus' hands!"
**Hmmm. . .not. . .exactly.**
| Here is Leila with Santa at the Christmas party. I liked that they had a couch--no need to sit on a strange old guy's lap, right? |
This week Leila learned about syllables. It took about 30 seconds to get the concept. I'm always amazed how quick she is to catch on to things!
L: All. On. A. Sat-ur-day. Night! (pointing at me, then her and switching who she was pointing at for each syllable)
M: Oh! That's good! You pointed at a different person for each syllable! Do you know what a syllable is?
L: No. What is it?
M: It's the sounds in a word. Let's see how many syllables Saturday has in it: Sat-ur-day (holding up a finger for each time I said a syllable). How many is that?
L: 3!
M: Great job! How about "Leila"? How many syllables are in your name?
Together: "Lei-la" (holding up a finger for each syllable)
L: Two!
M: That's right! How about "hippopotamus"?
L: Hip-po-pot-a-mus (holding up fingers) . . .five!
We kept trying that--I would suggest a word, then she would suggest a word. She got them all right until she suggested a whole sentence, something like "I have some peanut butter to eat". At that point she bit off a little more than she could chew :)
5) A Little Medicine Goes a Loooong Way!
The other day I was getting ready to give some Zarbee's cough medicine to Heidi. It's all natural, boosts the child's immune system, and is OK for kids 12 months and up. . .Oh. . .and it has honey in it. So I sucked up a half teaspoon using the medicine syringe, but in doing so, I got some sticky medicine on my hands. . .and I DON'T like being sticky! So I stood the syringe up on the table with the nozzle pointing to the ceiling while I washed my hands. Leila immediately climbed up on the chair and, harnessing the full power of her curious nature, pushed the syringe down . . .hard. It all happened in the blink of any eye--before I could let out a dissuading response! So I just watched helplessly as the contents of the syringe spewed quickly into the air, raining all over my shirt and arm, Heidi's hair, and leaving a nice sticky trail on the ceiling! Of course Leila ended up untainted! So much for not getting sticky!!
6) Origins
Leila: What is oatmeal made of?
Me: Oats.
Leila: Applesauce is made of ducks!
*mmm. . .K! I may never look at applesauce the same again!*
Like reading about our fun, smart, sweet girl? Click here for past Leila-isms!

No comments:
Post a Comment