A few years ago, my sister-in-law introduced me to the beautiful hot/cold paradox of a cazookie. I love to freeze cookie dough and make these when people come over for dinner/games/family night. That way I always have something yummy and more impressive than rice crispy squares. I made these the other night and one friend asked for the cookie recipe, so I thought, why not blog about it?
The truth is, you're pretty lucky to be getting this cookie recipe! (The original doesn't include the mints and has 1 cup of regular chocolate chips). I had lost if for several years (maybe seven). Then I found it hidden away in some of my stuff in my Mom's basement just a year before the fateful flooding that all but washed away my hometown. There were many casualties among my stuff.
For the Double Chocolate Chip/Mint Cookie
1 1/4 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cups cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
About 24 mint chocolates
![]() |
| Nana brought these for Heidi's baby blessing dinner, which inspired putting them in cookies. Thanks Nana! |
Preparation
1) Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
2) Add eggs and vanilla and beat well
3) In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
4) Blend into creamed mixture
5) Stir in chocolate chips
6) Roll into 1" balls, then squish the ball in your hand to form a cookie dough pancake. place the mint in the middle of the circle. fold the cookie dough around the mint until it is covered. Squeeze the ball lightly in your hand to seal the edges
7) Place in greased ramekin dishes
Cook in oven at 350 for 12 minutes. remove from oven, place ramekin onto a hot pad. Immediately spoon ice cream and hot fudge over cookie.
For The Hot Fudge
1 1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 12oz. can of evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
*This recipe makes a TON, like 4 cups which I would say is about 30 servings. It does keep in the fridge for about a month (I couldn't tell you past that--it hasn't survived longer than that before); so you've got time to use it up. But if you want, you can halve the recipe and use a mini 5 fl. oz can of evaporated milk (I get Kroger brand from Smiths). Don't worry that it's slightly less than half the size of a regular can. Just halve all of the other ingredients and it'll turn out great!
Preparation
Melt chocolate chips and butter over medium heat. Add sugar, salt, and evaporated milk. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 5-10 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
This recipe can be refrigerated and reheated. In fact, it seems to be thicker this way (which I like!)


No comments:
Post a Comment